Home InternationalIran Rules Out Immediate US Talks as Trump Threatens to Claim Strait of Hormuz

Iran Rules Out Immediate US Talks as Trump Threatens to Claim Strait of Hormuz

by Harry Archie
0 comments

Iran has said it has not yet decided whether to resume negotiations with the United States, as tensions between the two countries remain high over the Strait of Hormuz.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi made the statement on Saturday, saying communications between the two sides through mediators do not amount to formal negotiations.

He said Qatar and Pakistan have been helping to pass messages between Washington and Tehran, while Iran is also working with Oman on possible alternative routes for shipping.

“The routes that previously existed are no longer functional,” Araghchi said, adding that Iran was working on a temporary route that could later become a permanent arrangement.

However, he said the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz would depend on conditions that Washington must meet.

The strategic waterway has become the main point of disagreement between the two countries. Iran has maintained an effective blockade of the strait, severely reducing the movement of commercial vessels through one of the world’s most important energy routes.

The latest development followed remarks by US President Donald Trump that he would soon declare the Strait of Hormuz a US territory after what he described as Iran’s defeat.

Iran quickly rejected the statement.Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said the strait had been, and would remain, under Iranian control, insisting that Tehran would determine when the waterway could be opened or closed.

The dispute has also raised concerns about global energy supplies because the Strait of Hormuz is a major route for oil and gas shipments.

On Saturday, the United Arab Emirates said one of its vessels was attacked in the strait, adding to a series of recent incidents involving commercial ships.

The attacks have further reduced shipping activity in the waterway.

The United States has continued to pressure Iran economically, while President Trump has warned Americans to expect higher fuel prices as the conflict continues.

US gasoline prices have risen significantly amid the disruption, while oil prices have also increased as traders assess the risks to global supplies.

Despite the exchange of messages through regional mediators, there is currently no indication that formal US-Iran negotiations are about to resume.

The continued dispute over the Strait of Hormuz, the conditions for ending hostilities and the wider security situation in the Gulf remain major obstacles to a diplomatic settlement.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?
-
00:00
00:00
Update Required Flash plugin
-
00:00
00:00